"SPOFFORTH, a parish in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on a stream that runs to the Nyd, S. of Knaresborough, has a park on the W. side of it, where is a seat of Mr. Stanhope. One of the Piercies, its ancient Lds. procured it a Mt. on F. which it has long lost. Here is a ch. sc."
"WETHERBY, in the parish of Spofforth, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 4 m. N. W. from Tadcaster, and on the same r. 145 cm. 178 mm. from London, is a notable trading T. has a Mt. on Th. and Fair on July 25, and a small ch. sc."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]