Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Spofforth:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Spofforth:


"ADDLETHORPE, (now Addlethorpe Grange), a farm-house in the township and parish of Spofforth, 2½ miles W. of Wetherby, 6 from Knaresborough."


"AKETON, (or Oakton) scattered houses, in the township of Follyfoot, and parish of Spofforth, 3½ miles from Knaresborough, 4 from Wetherby."


"BLACKSTONES, a farm-house in the township of Little Ribstone, and parish of Spofforth, 3 miles from Wetherby."


"BRAIM HALL, or Braham Hall, a farm-house in the township and parish of Spofforth, 3 miles S. of Knaresborough."


"FOLLIFOOT, in the parish of Spofforth, upper-division of Claro; 3 miles from Knaresborough, 4 from Wetherby. Pop. 293."


"LINTON, in the parish of Spofforth, upper-division of Claro; 1½ miles SW. of Wetherby, 7 from Knaresborough. Pop. 167."


"LINTON SPRING, (the seat of William Middleton, Esq.) in the township of Linton, and parish of Spofforth, 2 miles from Wetherby, 6½ from Knaresborough."


"LITTLE RIBSTONE, in the parish of Spofforth, upper-division of Claro; 3¼ miles SE. of Knaresborough, 3¾ from Wetherby. Pop. 195."


"NEWSHOLME, a farm-house in the township and parish of Spofforth, 3½ miles from Wetherby, 5 from Knaresborough."


"PLUMPTON, in the parish of Spofforth, upper-division of Claro; 3 miles S. of Knaresborough, 4 from Wetherby. Pop. 208." (There is further information for Plumpton).


"RUDDING HALL, (the seat of the Hon. William Gordon) in the township of Follyfoot, and parish of Spofforth, upper-division of Claro; 3 miles from Knaresborough, 5 from Wetherby.

This place formerly belonged to Mr. James Collins, who added much to the building, laid out the pleasure grounds, and built a very curious rustic gate way, consisting of three arches, large and lofty, which unfortunately was blown down in 1790. The present proprietor took down the old house, and began the present elegant Mansion in 1807."


"SANDBECK, a single house in the township of Wetherby, and parish of Spofforth, 1 mile NE. of Wetherby."


"SPOFFORTH HAGGS, or Hagside, a hamlet in the township and parish of Spofforth, 4 miles from Knaresborough."


"STOCKELD, in the township and parish of Spofforth, upper-division of Claro; (Stockeld Hall, the seat of Peter Middleton, Esq.) 2 miles W. of Wetherby, 6 from Knaresborough. Pop. of the Constabulary of Stockeld, 69.

The ancient family of Middleton is descended from Hippolitus de Brame, Lord of Middleton, who was living in the reign of Henry II. Robert de Brame had issue, Sir Peter, who was the first of the family that took the name of Middleton; he had issue, Sir Adam, who was living in the year 1324. A statue of this knight, in armour, is in the Church at Ilkley. Sir Peter Middleton was High Sheriff of the County of York, in 1334. Sir William Middleton of Stockeld, was High Sheriff, in 1526. --Hist. Knaresborough."


"SWINNOW PARK, (a seat of Richard Fountayne Wilson, Esq.) in the township of Wetherby, and parish of Spofforth, upper-division of Claro, 1½ miles NE. of Wetherby, 7 from Tadcaster."


"WETHERBY, a market and post town, in the parish of Spofforth, upper division of Claro; 6 miles from Harewood, 7 from Knaresborough, and 7 NW. of Tadcaster, 8 from Aberford, 12 from Boroughbridge, 15¼ from York, 16 from Otley and Leeds, 194 from London. Market, Thursday. Fairs, Holy Thursday, and August 5, for sheep and pigs, Principal Inns, Angel, and Dog and Swan. Pop. 1,217. The Church is a perpetual curacy, of which the Rector of Spofforth is Patron." (There is further information for Wetherby).

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]