"SPROTBROUGH, a parish in the N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 2½ miles N.W. of Doncaster, and 1 mile from the Sprotbrough station of the South Yorkshire railway. The parish, which is situated on the river Don, contains the townships of Sprotbrough and Cadeby, and the hamlets of Cusworth, Newton, and Doncaster Bridge. The manor belonged to the Fitzwilliam family, who founded a hospital dedicated to St. Edmund, in the 14th century, which flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £9 13s. 11d. The Hall, built in the reign of Charles II., is a Grecian structure with a centre and two wings, containing an extensive library and a collection of paintings. The village is well built, and has a bridge erected at the expense of Sir J. W. Copley, Bart. At Cusworth is the seat of W. B. Wrightson, Esq. On the banks of the Don is a flint-mill. The surface is undulating and well wooded. The soil is loam on a subsoil of limestone. The living is a rectory,* with the curacy of Cadeby annexed, in the diocese of York, value £780. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a Gothic structure with a tower and six bells, and has a Decorated ceiling and screen, painted windows, carved pulpit and reading desk, antique font with a Gothic canopy, and monuments of the Fitzwilliam and Copley families. The register commences in 1539. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Cadeby, erected in 1856 at a cost of 85,000. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There are village and Sunday schools."
"CADEBY, (or Cateby), a township in the parish of Sprotbrough, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to S.W. of Doncaster. It lies near the South Yorkshire railway, and contains limestone and freestone."
"CUSWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of Sprotbrough, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2½ miles W. of Doncaster."
"DONCASTER BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Sprotbrough, wapentake of Strafforth, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles S.W. of Doncaster."