"STAVELEY, a parish in the lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles from Boroughbridge, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Knaresborough railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on a branch of the river Ure. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £354. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1831, at a cost of £1,000. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a place of worship, for Wesleyans."