"SWILLINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the svapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from Leeds, containing 510 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £16, 1. 8., and in the patronage of Sir John Lowther, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the decorated, and partly in the later, style of English architecture. Sir William Lowther, Bart., and others, gave £92 for the erection of a school, which the former endowed with land producing a small annuity for teaching six poor children."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]