"SWILLINGTON, a parish in the lower division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of Leeds, its post town. The village is near the river Aire, which bounds the parish on the S., and is here crossed by a bridge built in 1771. The parish includes the hamlet of Astley, where is an extensive colliery. The living is a rectory'* in the diocese of Ripon, value £510. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains monuments of the Lowther family. The register dates from 1530. The parochial charities produce about £34 per annum, of which £18 go to the school, and £12 to the almshouses founded by Sir W. Lowther in 1748. Sir John Lowther, Bart., is lord of the manor. Near the glebe-house is a strong chalybeate spring."
"ASTLEY, a hamlet in the parishes of Kippax and Swillington, in the wapentake of Lower Skyrack, West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles from Leeds."