Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for TADCASTER: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

TADCASTER: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.

"TADCASTER, a market-town, in the parish of its name, partly in the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, and partly in the ainsty of York, west riding, is 186 miles from London, 56 from Manchester, 15 from Harrogate and Leeds, and 10 from York; situated on the river Wharf, over which is one of the finest bridges in the county, built out of the materials which once formed the castle that stood on the south bank of the river. Upon this stream are corn mills, and in the immediate neighbourhood are stone quarries, one in particular, named 'Jack-daw cragg,' is said to have furnished the stone with which the minster, at York, is built. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a vicarage, the living is in the gift of the Earl of Egremont, and the present incumbent is the Rev. William Rhodes. The Methodists here form a numerous and respectable congregation; a new Wesleyan chapel has been, recently completed, which will seat nine hundred persons, and to this establishment it is intended to attach school rooms, capable of accommodating three hundred children; the ministers, of this chapel are the Rev. John Rawson and the Rev. Isaac Woodcock. There are besides, a chapel each for the independents and Inghamites; a free grammar school and alms-houses, founded by, Owen Oglethorpe, Bishop of Carlisle; and a well endowed establishment called 'Dawson's charity,' for the sustenance of poor widows and the education of forty girls. The general appearance of the country around here is diversified, abounding with the seats of nobility and gentry; the walks by the river are delightful, and the views pleasing; to the east the land is flat and agricultural, and the soil is very fertile in this district. The market is on Wednesday; and the fairs are the last Wednesdays in May and October, chiefly for cattle. The population of the township of Tadcaster, by the census of 1821, amounted to 2,426 persons."

[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007