Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: THORNE.     Church dedication: SAINT NICHOLAS.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 10,840 acres. Strafforth and TickhilL wapentake, S. D. - Population, 3,779 ; Church -room, 800; Net value, £117. -This was anciently a parochial Chapel, belonging to the Church of Hatfield. and it was given by William, Earl Warren, to the Priory of Lewes, to which it was appropriated. It is now accounted a parish Church, but pays neither Tenths, Procurations, nor Synodals. -Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 216. Torre's MS., page 925.

Patron and impropriator, the heir of Sir Henry Hetherington.

There were two Chantries in this Church.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 472, it is stated : " A Vicarage. Only £5 per annum paid by the impropriator out of the tithes, and £4. 13s. 4d. given out of lands by some well-disposed persons. There are about 300 families in the parish." Certified value in 1707, £48. 17s. 10d., and in 1818, £72.

Augmented in 1812, with £800; in 1820, with £200; and in 1823, with £200 -all from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

17th June, A.D. 1321, an indulgence was granted by William, Archbishop of York, of forty days' relaxation of penance enjoined to all parishioners and others of the diocese (being truly contrite, penitent, and confessed), who should charitably contribute to the repairs, building, and support of this Chapel. -Torre's MS., page 925.

" The impropriator of Thdrne and Hatfield is entitled to the tithes of wheat, willows, hop-poles, turkies, ducks, and fruit in new orchards, in kind ; to the tithes of depasturing barren cattle on the commons in the parish of Thorne, and on Ditch Marsh, Double Briggs Closes, Fleet Groves, and Meer Closes, in kind ; to twopence a statute acre for all the moor lands on the north side of Kirkbridge Causeway, and one penny an acre for all such lands on the south side of the said Causeway, in lieu of tithe hay and pasturage ; to twopence an acre for the Old Juggs, the Land's End, and Ashfield, and one penny an acre for the Low Grounds, Middle Marsh, and Fordall Close ; to twopence halfpenny a year for every ancient house, orchard, and garden, in lieu of the tithes of fire-wood and fruit ; to one penny for every litter of pigs not exceeding five, and twopence for every litter above that number ; and to other moduses in lieu of cows, calves, milk, foals, goslings, cocks, hens, and bees, and to twopence an acre in lieu of the tithe hay of the Fields, Wyke Closes, and Bradholme Closes, Church Close Meadow, New Close, and Gwinne Close." -Popplewell v. Canby, 2 Wood, page 390.

" The occupiers of ancient messuages in the parish of Thorne, Fishlake, or any other parish lying within the manor of Hatfield, in Yorkshire, pay the tithes arising from Thorne North Common and other waste lands appurtenant to their said messuages, to the Rector or Vicar respectively of the parish in which the ancient messuage is situated, and not to the Rector or Vicar of the parish in which the right of common was taken and enjoyed." -Etherington v. Hunt, 4 Wood, page 368.

An Inclosure Act was passed 51st Geo. III.

For the arms and inscriptions, see Hunter's South Yorkshire ; also see Bodleian MS. and Pock's Bawtry and Thorne.

16th January 1746, faculty to erect a gallery.

8th September 1764, ditto to erect another gallery.

9th March 1793, ditto to erect another gallery.

7th February 1794, confirmation of allotment of seats.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1565. Some chasms.

Charities:
William Brooke's charity, by surrender, dated 29th January 1705, for the maintenance of one able, sober, learned, and sufficient schoolmaster, for instructing such children as should come to the school, but not as a free school ; provided that ten of the poorest boys within the town should be freely instructed. Endowment : 65a. 1r. of land, two houses, and £56. 16s. 10d. in the bank.

William Rodwelts gift, by will, dated 8th March 1720. Rent of five roods of land, for preaching a sermon every Sacrament day in the afternoon.

Sundry Doles. £12. 17s. 8d. per annum, distributed at Christmas.

Benjamin Darling's gift to the poor. One-eighteenth part of the tolls at fairs and markets. Averages about 4s. 6d. or 5s. a year.

Mordecai Cutts's gift, by will, dated 12th May 1786. Interest of £60, to be divided among ten poor housekeepers yearly on the 25th March. -Vide 17th Report, page 797.

A post town.


References:
Torre's MS., page 925. Abp. Sharp's MS., i. page 216. Hunter's South Yorkshire, i. pages 189 and 194. Peck's Bawtry and Thorne, page 77. Bodleian MS., No. 5,101.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.