Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: THORNTON IN CRAVEN.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 6,710 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E.D. *1 -Population, 2,246 ; Church-room, 600; Net value, £248. -An ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Lords Ross, of Hamluc; and from them, of divers others, till it came to the Listers, of Thornton.

The present patron is Sir J. L. Lister Kaye, Bart.

30th Nov. 1476, a commission issued out to appropriate this Church, then of the patronage of Sir John Pilkington, Knt., to Fountains Abbey, which had the patronage thereof, by the gift of the said Sir John. The appropriation, however, does not appear to have taken place.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's first taxation at £20; in the second, at £13. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books at £19. 5s. 2½d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 210, at £50 per annum.

An Inclosure Act was passed 59th Geo. III.

Dr. Whitaker gives an account of the monuments and catalogue of the Rectors.

9th November 1792, faculty to erect a gallery.

The Register books commence in 1566, but there is a chasm from 1645 to 1654.

The glebe house is fit for residence. It was rebuilt under faculty, dated 19th January 1754.

Charities:
The free school, founded by Robert Windle, by will, before 1623, for the support of a master, to teach Latin, and instruct the youth within the parish. Income : £20 per annum rentcharge.

Rachel Smith's almshouses, founded in 1815. Income: dividends on £2000.

Viscountess Lumley's charity. See General School and Charities for this county. -Vide 16th Report, page 437.

Post town: Skipton.


References:
Torre's MS. page 441. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol i page 173. Whitaker's Craven, page 101.


Notes:
*1 The township of Tathamfell, in the parish of Tatham, in the county of Lancaster is said to be connected with this parish.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.