Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for TICKHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

TICKHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"TICKHILL, a parish and market town in the Southern division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding county York, 7 miles S. of Doncaster, and 4½ from Bawtry railway station. Rotherham is its post town. It is situated in a fertile valley, on the borders of Nottinghamshire, includes the townships of Stancil, Wellingley, and Wilsick, and has the ruins of an Austin priory founded in the reign of Henry III. This manor was given by William the Conqueror to Roger de Buslis, who erected the castle, which with the honour came to King Stephen's brother, the Count d'Eu, and subsequently was held by the Viponts, John of Gaunt, &c., becoming again vested in the crown in the time of Henry IV. At the commencement of the Civil War, the castle, then considered a very strong fortress, was garrisoned for Charles I., but after a siege of two days was surrendered, and shortly after dismantled by order of parliament in 1646. The town consists of several broad streets, which intersect each other at right angles. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the corn-mills, and in malting, for which there are several extensive kilns. The population at the last census was 1,980. There is a market cross, erected in 1776. Tickhill was the birth-place of Thomas Milnes the sculptor. Manorial courts, leet and baron, are held annually. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £261. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains effigies of a knight and his lady, and an altar tomb of William de Estfield, the founder of the church, who died in 1386. The register dates from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum, besides almshouses for six poor persons. There are National and infant schools for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Independents have chapels. Market day is on Friday. A fair is held on the second Friday in October."


"LINDRICK, a hamlet in the parish of Tickhill, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 2 miles from Tickhill, and 38 S.W. of York."


"STANCILL WITH WELLINGLEY AND WILSICK, a township in the parish of Tickhill, S. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Tickhill."


"WELLINGLEY, a township in the parish of Tickhill, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Tickhill. It is joined with Stancill and Wilsick."


"WILSICK, a township in the parish of Tickhill, West Riding, county York, joined to Stancill."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013