|Yorkshire||West RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"TREETON, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 4 miles from Rotherham, 7 from Sheffield, 52 from York. Pop. 364. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Helen, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £12. Patron, the Duke of Norfolk.
Dr. Samuel Drake, brother of the author of the Eboracum, was rector of this Church in 1728, where he was buried in 1753. Like all the Drakes, he was a man of learning, and like many of them, an author. --Hunter's Hallamshire.
Treeton, the lordship of Morcar, Earl of Northumberland, before the conquest; afterwards it became the estate of the Furnivals: Thomas de Nevil, marrying the heiress, brought this estate into his family, with the title of Lord Furnival. It afterwards, by marriage, came into the possession of John, Lord Talbot, the famous general; who, for his eminent services, was created Earl of Shrewsbury, by King Henry VI. To this family succeeded that of Pierpoint; of whom, Robert de Pierpoint was, by King Charles I., created Lord Pierpoint, of Holm Pierpoint, Viscount Newark, and Earl of Kingston, who, in gratitude and loyalty to his royal benefactor, raised a regiment for his service, and was taken prisoner at the surrender of Gainsbrough; and, being sent, with others, in a boat, towards Hull, a party of cavaliers, as they passed by, called to the boat to stop; and, because they did not, the cavaliers fired upon them, and the Earl, with his man, was slain by their friends, 1643. --Magna Brit. The Duke of Norfolk is now the sole Lord."
"BRAMPTON EN LE MORTHEN, in the parish of Treeton, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 5 miles SE. of Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield. Pop. 136."
"ULLEY, or Brampton Ulley, in the parishes of Treeton and Aston, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 4 miles from Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield. Pop. 203."
"WALES WOOD, a hamlet in the township of Wales, and parishes of Wales and Treeton; 5½ miles from Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]