Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HORBURY.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.

Agbrigg wapentake, L.D. - Population, 2,400 *1, vide Wakefield ; Chapel-room, 700 *2; Net value, £225.

Patron, the Lord Chancellor.

" A parochial Chapel, within the precincts of Wakefield, the tithes of which are impropriated to Mr. John Smith, tradesman, in Wakefield, out of which there was at the dissolution of chauntries reserved for a Curate there £7, and to this a certain number of feoffees in the said town, about the year 1650; added the yearly sum of £10 out of some lands there, commonly called by the name of Common Lands, and have settled the same upon the ministers successively for ever. It is an ancient Chapel. The surplice fees not above 30s. per annum." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 810.

The Parliamentary Commissioners recommended that this Chapelry should be made a separate parish. -Vol. xviii. page 287.

The present Chapel is a beautiful edifice, built by John Carr, Esq., an eminent architect, who was a native of Horbury.

Augmented in 1717 with £200, to meet benefaction of a rent of £15 per annum from J. Smyth, Esq. and others; and in 1727 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Henry Robinson.

4th January 1790, faculty to take down and rebuild the Chapel.

31st March 1794, confirmation of allotment of pews.

8th April 1812, faculty to alter the situation of the pulpit and certain pews. An Inclosure Act was passed 49th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1598.

Charities:
Common lands. These were first settled in trust, by deed, dated 23rd March 1653, and comprise 45a. 1r. 33p. of land, besides lime-kilns and buildings; let at the time of the Report for £249. 1s. per annum. The annual payments are as follows:- To the minister (£5 for an afternoon sermon), £20; to the schoolmaster, £15. 15s.; to the parish-clerk, in lieu of dues, £7. 2s.; ale at meetings, one gill to each householder, about £3 ; to the Leeds Infirmary, £3. 3s.; residue towards paying the accounts of the constable, church-wardens, and overseers of the highways. -The Commissioners gave a long account of this trust, and recommended an increase of the minister's allowance, but which might require the aid of a court of equity.

Richard Wormald's almshouses, by will, 28th March 1731. Building only.

Doles. -Wormald's, £2 per annum ; Heron's, 10s. per annum; Pollard's, £1 per annum.

Schoolmaster. £2 per annum (Wormald's), and 10s. per annum (donor unknown) ; also rent of 1a. 28p. of land, donor unknown.

Anniversary Sermons. Wormald's, 2nd February, £1 per annum ; Thorns's, Michaelmas-day, £1 per annum. -Vide 17th Report, page 710.

Post town: Wakefield.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 176. Loidis et Elmete, page 295.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, returned at 2,450.

*2 In 1818, the return was 800.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.