Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Wakefield:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Wakefield:


"ALVERTHORPE, in the parish of Wakefield, Agrbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield; 1 mile W. of Wakefield, 4 from Dewsbury. Pop including Thornes, 4,448, which being united form a township."


"BRANDY CARR, a hamlet in the township of Alverthorpe with Thornes, and parish of Wakefield, 2 miles from Wakefield."


"FLANSHAW, (Hill and Lane), in the parish of Wakefield, wapentake of Agbrigg and manor of Wakefield; 1½ mile W. of Wakefield."


"HATFIELD HALL, (the residence of Francis Maud, Rag.) in the township of Stanley with Wrenthorpe, and parish of Wakefield, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles from Wakefield, 8 from Leeds."


"HORBURY, in the parish of Wakefield, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2½ miles SW. of Wakefield, 11 from Huddersfield. Pop. 2,475. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Peter. Patron, the Vicar of Wakefield.

The present Chapel at Horbury was built in 1791, by the late Mr. John Carr, a native of this place, and an eminent architect at York, at an expense of £8,000. leaving behind him a monument at once of his skill and bounty. For a critique on this handsome edifice, see Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"LINGWELL GATE, in the township of Stanley with Wrenthorpe, and parish of Wakefield, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 3½ miles N. of Wakefield, 6½ from Leeds.

Here "were found in 1697, certain clay moulds for Roman Coins, all of such Emperors in whose reigns the money is known to have been counterfeited. This place takes its name from the Lingones, quartered at Olicana, Ilkley, and Wall, a corruption of vallum." --Gough's Camden.

In March, 1821 Mr. Pitts, of Wakefield, presented a number of clay moulds similar to the above, which were found at Lingwell Gate, in a field in the occupation of Mr. Spurr; they were turned up with a ploughshare, as many as would fill a wheel barrow. Several coins were found in the moulds. He also sent the Society sixteen Roman Copper Coins, found in an earthen vessel, in a field about a mile from Lingwell Gate, on the estate of the Marquis of Hertford. Mr. Pitts also sent some to the Society in 1820, vide his letter in Archaeologia, vol. XVII. and Appendix to ditto, vol. XIX."


"LUPSETT HALL, a single house in the township of Alverthorpe, and liberty and parish of Wakefield, (the seat of Daniel Gaskill, Esq.) 1 mile from Wakefield, 4 from Dewsbury."


"MOOR HOUSE, (the seat of John Maude, Esq.) in the township of Stanley with Wrenthorpe, and parish of Wakefield, 4 miles from Wakefield."


"NEWTON, a hamlet in the township of Alverthorpe with Thornes, and parish of Wakefield, liberty of Wakefield, 1 mile N. of Wakefield."


"SILCOATES, a hamlet in the township of Alverthorpe with Thornes, and parish of Wakefield, 1 mile NW. of Wakefield,

Here is a Grammar School for the Yorkshire Dissenters."


"STANLEY, in the parish of Wakefield, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1½ miles NNE. of Wakefield, 8 from Leeds, 14 from Huddersfield. Pop. including Wrenthorpe, 4,620, which being united form a township. Here is a Chapel of Ease to Wakefield, building.

Here is the Field, famed in ancient story, where, "all on the Green," Robin Hood, Little John, and Scarlet, fought the Pinder of Wakefield, the place is yet called Pinder's Field. Here was a Roman station, where several Roman coins have, at different times been found."


"STANLEY HALL, (the seat of Benjamin Heywood, Esq.) in the township of Stanley with Wrenthorpe, and parish of Wakefield, liberty of Wakefield, 1½ miles from Wakefield, 6½ from Leeds."


"THORNES, in the township of Alverthorpe with Thornes, and parish of Wakefield, Agbrigg division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1 mile S. of Wakefield, 9½ from Barnsley. Pop. included in Alverthorpe."


"THORNS HOUSE, (the seat of Benjamin Gaskill, Esq.) in the township of Alverthorpe with Thorns, and liberty and parish of Wakefield, half a mile from Wakefield, 6 from Dewsbury."


"WAKEFIELD LODGE, in the township of Stanley with Wrenthorpe, and parish of Wakefield, 1 mile from Wakefield."


"WEST HALL, in the parish of Wakefield, wapentake of Agbrigg; 4 miles NE. of Wakefield;

Formerly the estate of John, Lord Beaumont, who was slain at the battle of Northampton, in July 1460. He was succeeded by his son, William, Lord Beaumont, who, eight months after the death of his father, was also slain at the battle of Towton."


"WRENTHORPE, in the township of Stanley with Wrenthorpe, and parish of Wakefield, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1 mile from Wakefield, 8 from Leeds. Pop. included in Stanley; but at which there are no houses to constitute a town, the principal of the inhabitants being at Wrenthorpe. This place was commonly called Potovens."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]