Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for WARMFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

WARMFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"WARMFIELD, a parish in the lower division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles E. of Wakefield, its post town, and 2 from the Oakenshaw railway station. The village is situated on the North Midland railway, near the Leeds canal and the river Calder. The parish includes the hamlets of Kirkthorpe, Heath, Sharlston, and Agbrigg. The soil is clayey and loamy, with a subsoil of limestone and marl. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £148, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains monuments of the families of De Fleming and Smyth. The register dates from 1640. The parochial charities produce about £100 per annum, of which £16 go to Bowles's school, £36 to Freestone's school, and £19 to Sagar's almshouses. H. C. M. Ingram, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"AGBRIGG, a village in the parish of Warmfield, in the wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the E. of Wakefield."


"HEATH, a hamlet in the parish of Warmfield, lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 1 mile S. of Kirkthorpe Church, 2 miles E. of Wakefield, and 1 mile N. of the Oakenshaw station on the Midland line of railway. The higher grounds command a view of the course of the river Calder, and the Barnsley canal passes near the hamlet. The principal residences are, Heath Hall, Beach Lawn, and Heath House."


"KIRKTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Warmfield, West Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Wakefield, and 1 mile from the Normanton railway station. It is situated on the E. bank of the river Calder. The parish church and vicarage, with the hospital and almshouses, are situated in this hamlet."


"SHARLSTON, a township in the parish of Warmfield, lower division of Agbrigg wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Wakefield, its post town, and 2 E. of Oakenshaw railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil consists of clay and marl. Sharleston Hall, erected in 1591, was the residence of Nicholas de Fleming, who held the mayoralty of York for six years. Coal was formerly worked, but the mines are now nearly exhausted. The charities produce £20, the bequest of the Countess of Westmoreland in 1729, for the relief of widows."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013