"WARMFIELD, a village and a parish-town, 3 miles E. by N. of Wakefield, and in Wakfield union, county court district, and petty sessional division. The parish, which contained 2867 inhabitants in 1881, comprises 2779 acres, and includes the townships of Warmfield-cum- Heath and Sharlston, together with the small villages of Heath, 1 ½ mile E.; Kirkthorpe, 2 miles E.N.E.; and Agbrigg, 1 mile from Wakefield. The township of Warmfield-cum-Heath had 977 inhabitants in 1881. The trustees under the will of the late H.F.Meynell Ingram,Esq., who are lords of the manor, and Col. C.J. Fitzroy Smyth, are the chief owners of the soil. The Parish Church (St. Peter) stands in the village of Kirkthorpe, and is an Early English structure, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and a square embattled tower with three bells. It was restored and fitted with open benches in 1851, at an expense of about £1300, and contains some ancient monuments of the Stringer and Smyth families. The living is a vicarage, valued at £264 per annum, with residence of 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Master and Senior Fellows of Clare College, Cambridge, as trustees of the Rev. Barnabas Oley, and held by the Rev. Charles A. Stokes, M.A. Sagar's Almshouse at Kirkthorpe was founded in 1558 by Othoneus Sagar, for four poor women of the parish, with an endowment of £12 per annum out of land at Castleford, but it contains now only two inmates. Here is another Almshouse founded in 1591 by John Freestone, Esq., of Altofts, for seven poor aged and unmarried men of Warmfield and Normanton; but the bequest being a fixed money payment named in the will, the funds are only sufficient for the maintenance of two poor men. The parish has several other charities. The National School, at Heath, was erected in 1873, at a cost of £600."