Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SWINTON.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.

Area, vide Wath upon Dearne. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N.D. -Population, 1,252, vide Wath upon Dearne ; Chapel-room, 500 *1; Net value, £160.

Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam.

Impropriators, Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford.

The old Chapel appeared to have been built about the 12th Century.. The present Chapel was erected in 1817, at the sole expense of the late Earl Fitzwilliam, and consecrated, together with the chapel-yard, on the 15th July in that year.

Valued in 1707 at £24. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 481, it is stated to be " distant from Wath about a mile. A great town, consisting of about sixty families, and 160 communicants. Neither minister nor maintenance belonging it. We think fit, seeing part of Swinton lieth part of it in Mexbrough parish, and part in Wath, that the whole town of Swinton be divided from the said other parishes, and annexed to Swinton Chapel, and that to be made a parish Church."

Augmented in 1718 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Hon. Thomas Wentworth ; in 1730, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Thomas Lord Malton ; in 1824, with £300, and £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefactions of £200 from Earl Fitzwilliam, the patron. and £200 from the Rev. John Lowe; and in 1828, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £100, and land worth £100 from the Rev. John Lowe, the incumbent.

For an account of the Scholarship at University College, Oxford, see Liber Scholasticus, page 7.

An Inclosure Act was passed 55th Geo. III.

" Two farms, lying in this township, which belong to Earl Fitzwilliam, every year change their parish for one year, from Easter day at twelve at noon, till next Easter day at the same hour ; they lie in the parish of Mexbrough, and then till Easter day following, at the same hour, they are in the parish of Wath upon Dearne, and so alternately." -Blount's Tenures.

The glebe house is fit for residence. 31st March 1787, faculty to build a gallery.

The Register books commence in 1815.

Parochial Charities. -No separate return.

Post town: Rotherham.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 276. Rhodes, page 139. Blount's Tenures. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 76.


Notes:
*1 Of which 120 are free sittings.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.