Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WATH UPON DEARNE.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 11,120 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N.D. - Population, 6,972 *2; Church-room, 800; Net value, £315. A Rectory of the patronage of the Flemings, Knights, consisting of three parts, until consolidated by Walter Gray, 12th Kal. September 1229, and given by Robert Waterton, Esq. to the Hospital of St. Nicholas, Pontefract, to which it was appropriated. A Vicarage was ordained therein, 2nd Kal. August 1235, and a new ordination was made 7th August 1410. 6s. 8d. is payable annually by the impropriators to the poor of the parish. By the first ordination, the Vicar is exempt from the lodging of the Archbishop. At the Dissolution, the Rectory was assigned to Christ Church, Oxford.

In the 18th Hen. VI. the patronage of this Church was passed away with the advowson of St. Nicholas's Hospital to the Prior and Convent of Nostel.

Patrons and impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £50; in the King's Books at £15. 10s. 2d., after deducting for Synodals and Procurations 11s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 479, it is stated : " Vicarage £34 per annum, out of which £10 is paid to the minister at Wentworth, and 30s. Crown rent."

" The Vicar is only endowed with small tithes. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, are the impropriators and patrons." Notitia Parochialis, No. 849.

" The Vicar is entitled to the tithes of fruits, turnips, potatoes, clover seed, rape seed, hemp seed, line seed, wool, lambs, pigs, geese, and three loads of hay in kind ; but for the grass of certain farms, whether mowed or fed, he is only entitled to the several moduses stated in the case, and to one penny a foal, to one penny for every strop mulch cow, and threehalfpence for every calving cow, in lieu of the tithes of foals, milk, and calves." Rowley v. Hudson. 4 Wood, page 191.

Two Chantries are named in the Valor Ecc.

Inclosure Acts were passed 50th Geo. III. 54th Geo. III. (Wentworth), and 55th Geo. III. (Wath and Swinton.)

For the inscriptions and catalogue of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

A lectureship is founded in this Church.

20th June 1782, faculty to erect a gallery.

13th August 1828, ditto to erect another gallery.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1598.

Charities:
Poor's estate. Five acres of land and five cottages. 40s. a year is given in bread at Christmas, under the will of Thomas Tuke, dated in 1800, and the remainder of the rent distributed among the poor.

Anthony Sawdrie's charity, by deed, dated 14th May, 6 Car. I. 50s. per annum for apprenticing a child, and if not wanted for that purpose, the money is laid out in blankets.

Anthony Sawdrie's School, founded by will, dated 19th May 1647. Rent of 7a. 2r. 2p. of land, with a house (subject to an out-payment of 50s.) to the schoolmaster ; also the interest of £30, but which sum was considered by the Commissioners to be irrecoverable. The testator also left the rent of a leasehold close to the schoolmaster, for teaching eight poor children, but the lease expired in 1835.

Doles to the poor. -Thomas Tilney's gift. 4s. per annum, in bread.

Dr. Spencer's, by deed, dated 10th and 11th February 1712. £5 per annum, for poor widows.

George Gawtress's, in 1725. Interest of £10.

Rev. William Steer's, in 1769. Interest of £30.

Mrs. Twittey's. Interest of £20, half to poor widows, and half for teaching a poor boy.

Jonathan Walker's. Interest of £20. Lost.

TOWNSHIP OF BRAMPTON BIERLOW.

Ellis's charity. Vide General Charities. About eighty boys and girls taught on the National system. The master is paid £63 a year, and £12 a year augmentation, under the will of John Higson, dated 13th October 1814 ; £15 a year is also paid to a schoolmistress ; £3 per annum, to a poor widow ; and £2. 10s. per annum, for apprenticing a poor boy.

Higson's dole. Interest of £50, given in blankets and money.

Poor's estate. 9a. 0r. 18p. of land, and cottages. The rents are applied in aid of the poor rates.

Hooper poor land. Settled, in 1714, by the Hon. Thomas Wentworth upon an inclosure, in lieu of rights which the poor had in the commons. 31a. 2r. 5p. Rent applied in aid of the poor rates.

Doles, being annual rents-charge to the poor. -Robert Skiers's, by will, in 1658, £1.

Dr. Spencer's, by deed, dated 11th February 1712. £5, for five poor widows. Mary Wharam's, in 1735. 10s. Robert Jebson's, 3s. 4d. Widow Elams's, £1.

TOWNSHIP OF NETHER HOYLAND.

Skiers's dole. Rent-charge of 20s. per annum, for the poor.

Stenton's dole. Rent-charge of 3s. 4d. a year to the poor.

Freeman's dole. Rent-charge of £3 a year to the poor not receiving parochial relief.

The School. £10 per annum is paid by Earl Fitzwilliam, for educating twenty poor children, who are also clothed at his lordship's expense, but the charity appears to be voluntary. -Vide 18th Report, page 639.

Post town: Rotherham.


References:
Torre's MS. page 1199. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 258. Nonae Roll, page 223. Mon. Angl. vol. ii. page 168. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 62.


Notes:
*1 The word " Wath" is no more, says Mr. Hunter, than " Ford."

*2 Viz. Brompton Bierlow, 1,482; Nether Hoyland, 1,670; Swinton, 1,252; Wath upon Dearne, 1,149; Wentworth, 1,394. In 1834, the Population was returned at 2,611. In the township of Brompton Bierlow and the Chapelries of Hoyland and Wentworth, upwards of 300 men are employed in quarries, iron, stone, and coal mines.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.