Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WENTWORTH.     Church dedication: HOLY TRINITY.

Area, vide Wath upon Dearne. Strafforth and wapentake, N.D. -Population, 1,394, vide Wath upon Dearne; Chapel-room, sufficient ; Net value, £125.

On 18th August 1491, a commission was decreed to the Bishop of Dromore to consecrate this Chapel.

On the 2nd August 1546, Thomas Wentworth, Esq. by will, bequeathed to the building of an aisle all the pillars with the inbowings, and all other stone as they shall need to have, which he bought of the King's visiters, at Burton Grange.

Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam.

Impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford.

In 1684, the Chapel was nearly rebuilt by the Earl of Strafford.

Valued in 1707 at £27. 10s. 5d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 480, it is stated to be " Three miles from Wath ; no certain maintenance ; about 400 communicants ; to be made a parish, and that Upper Hoyland and Nether Hoyland, and the whole town of Thorpe, two miles from Rotherham, its parish Church, and within a mile of this Chapel, be annexed to Wentworth parish, and divided from Rotherham ;" valued in 1818, at £120 per annum.

Augmented in 1718 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Hon. Thomas Wentworth; and in 1722, with £200 to meet benefactions of £60, and land worth £140 from Messrs. Freer and Beall.

Some benefactions to the Chapel are noticed by Mr. Hunter.

A parochial library was founded by the Hon. Thomas Wentworth.

For the monuments and inscriptions, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

3rd April 1790, a faculty was granted to take down a stable belonging to the living.

17th March 1822, an additional burial-ground consecrated.

An Inclosure Act was passed 54th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1654.

Charities:
The Hospitals, founded 24th February 1697, under the will of William, Earl of Strafford, for six poor men and six poor women, who each receive a stipend of £3, being the endowment ; in addition to which they are allowed by Earl Fitzwilliam, a coat for each man and a gown for each woman once a year, and a supply of bread once a fortnight, and the overseers also allow five tons of coals once a year. The late Earl Fitzwilliam expended upwards of £500 in repairs and improvements of the buildings.

Morris's and Pickles's gifts. Richard Morris, in 1635, left £23 to augment the Curacy, and Ann Pickles, in 1669, left £60 for the use of the Curate and poor, and for the education of poor children, which legacies were laid out in the purchase of 5a. 2r. of land. Half the rent is received by the Curate ; one quarter by the schoolmaster ; and another quarter by the overseers, in aid of the poor's rate, after paying, thereout 10s. among four poor widows.

The School, founded 22nd September 1716, by the Hon. Thomas Wentworth, for clothing and teaching fifty poor children, boys and girls. Endowment : school-house, seven acres of land, and annuity of £65. The deficiency to defray the expense of clothing, is made up by Lord Fitzwilliam.

George Holmes's gift. House in Rotherham, with three roods of land, now leased at £7 per annum, for a term which will end 21st October 1863. The rent is applied in aid of the poor rates.

Richard Williston's gift, in 1607. Rent-charge of II. per annum on three cottages ; but the cottages have been rebuilt by Lord Fitzwilliam, and given up for the use of paupers.

Thorpe Hesley School. Built by subscription, in 1806. The master receives the following payments, for teaching poor children, viz. :-

William Brailsford's gift, by will, dated 18th February 1784. 32s. per annum, for teaching four poor children.

John Marshall's gift, by will, dated 3rd October 1792, proved in July 1793. Legacy of £100 left for instructing poor boys. The executors appeared to the Commissioners to be indisposed to continue the payment of the interest, on the ground that there were no trustees for the school.

Thomas Walker's gift, by will, dated 20th May 1802. £4. 10s. per annum, for educating ten poor boys, and 10s. to the clergyman of Thorpe Hesley, for hearing the boys read and say their Catechism yearly.

Dr. Spencer's dole, by deed, dated 19th August 1713. Rent-charge of £5 a year, for five of the poorest persons of Wentworth.

Mrs. Agnes Willson's gift. The sum of 10s. a year is mentioned in the table of benefactions, but no other traces of the charity can be discovered. -Vide 18th Report, page 643.

Post town: Rotherham.


References:
Torre's MS. page 1205. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 259. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 78. Bray's Tour (House only), page 323. Thoresby's Ducatus, page 241.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.