Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for WATH UPON DEARNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

WATH UPON DEARNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"WATH UPON DEARNE, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelries of Nether Hoyland, Swinton, and Wentworth and the townships of Brompton-Bierlow and Wath upon Dearn, and containing 5812 inhabitants, of which number, 1001 are in the township of Wath upon Dearn 5 miles N. from Rotherham. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £15. 10. 2., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The Rev. Thomas Womb well, in 1663, gave £30 towards the erection of a school-house, which is endowed with £4. 13. 4. per annum, the amount of two rent-charges, bequeathed by Anthony Sawdrie,in 1648, and John Skyers, in 1668, for which seven children are instructed. There are extensive potteries, furnaces, and collieries in the parish. The Roman Iknield-street passed through it."


"BRAMPTON BIERLOW, a chapelry in the parish of WATH upon DEARNE, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH and TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Rotherhani, containing 1263 inhabitants. It stands on the line of the Dove and Dearne canal, in a district containing several iron-foundries, one of which, called Milton Furnace, is on a very extensive scale. George Ellis, in 1711, bequeathed the greater part of his estate for pious and charitable uses, and the trustees acting under the will erected, in 1818, a spacious building, at an expense of £ 865, for the instruction of boys and girls on Dr. Bell's plan -. the master is allowed a salary of £63 per annum, and the mistress one of £15; and the sum of £12 is also paid annually to the master, from a bequest of £300 made by John Higson,in 1814. The remainder of Ellis' charity is applied in relieving the poor, and in apprentice fees."


"NETHER HOYLAND, a chapelry in the parish of WATH-upon-DEARNE, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-AND-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.S.E. from Barnesley, containing, with Upper Hoyland, 1229 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £ 800 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Wath upon Dearn. A new church is being erected by means of a grant from the parliamentary commissioners. Ten poor boys and ten poor girls are educated for £ 10 per annum, paid by Earl Fitzwilliam."


"SWINTON, a chapelry in the parish of WATH-upon-DEARNE, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Rotherham, containing 1050 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £SOO private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £ 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Wath upon Dearn. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, has a fine Norman door. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A considerable manufacture of earthenware is carried on in this chapelry."


"WENTWORTH, a chapelry in the parish of WATH-upon-DEARNE, northern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.W. from Rotherham, containing 1269 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, hi the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is principally in the later style of English architecture. A school was erected here, in 1716, by Thomas Wentworth, who endowed it with land and an annuity of £3, towards teaching and clothing fifty poor children: the master occupies the school-house and land rent-free, and receives, besides the above named annuity, one of £ 12 from Earl Fitzwilliam, and another of £2 left by Ann Pickles, in 1669."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]