Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for WATH UPON DEARNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

WATH UPON DEARNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"WATH UPON DEARNE, a parish and township in the N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Rotherham, its post town, and 10 W. of Doncaster. It has stations on the Doncaster section of the South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire railway, and on the Midland railway. The parish, which is six miles in length by four in average breadth, contains the townships of Nether Hoyland, Swinton, Wentworth, Thorpe, Thorpe-Hesley, and Brampton-Bierlow. There are extensive collieries, stone quarries, iron works, and potteries. The parish is bounded on the E. by the rivers Don and Dearne, and is intersected by the Dearne and Dove canal. The soil is clayey and sandy, but fertile. Many of the houses are lighted with gas from the works constructed in 1844. The population of the parish in 1861 was 13,820, and of the township 1,690. The property chiefly belongs to the Earl Fitzwilliam, who is lord of the several manors, and whose seat is within the limits of the parish. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Adwick-upon-Dearne annexed, in the diocese of York, value £315, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has two stained windows. The register dates from 1600. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches, viz:, Brampton Bierlow, Thorpe-Hesley, Hoyland, Swinton, Kilnhurst, Wentworth, and Elsecar, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from £340 to £125. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. There are an endowed school, and National, Sunday, and denominational schools for both sexes. The Wesleyans, Wesleyan Reformers, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. A mechanics' institute was established in 1854. Wath Hall and Cross House are the principal residences. A statute fair for the hiring of servants is held on 24th November."


"BARLEY HALL, a hamlet in the chapelry of Wentworth, and parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, in the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.W. of Rotherham. It is situated near Wentworth House, the seat of Earl Fitzwilliam."


"BARROW, a hamlet in the chapelry of Wentworth, parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, in the wapentake of Strafforth, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles from Rotherham. Barrow green is a meet for the Suffolk hounds."


"BIRDWELL FLAT, a hamlet in the chapelry of Swinton, and parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.E. of Rotherham."


"BRAMPTON BIERLOW, a township in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.E. of Barnsley. Rotherham is its post town. It is situated on the Dove and Dearne canal, and includes the hamlet of Coley Lane and several others. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the extensive iron-foundries, of which there are several in the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, of the value of £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Wath-upon-Dearne. The church was erected in 1855. The charitable endowments consist of bequests by George Ellis in 1711, and by John Higeon in 1814, for various benevolent purposes, and produce about £170 per annum. The income is principally applied to the support of a free school, which was founded in 1813 by the trustees of George Ellis."


"BROADCARR, a hamlet in the chapelry of Nether Hoyland, and parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the S. of Barnsley."


"COLEY LANE, a hamlet in the township of Brampton Bierlow, and parish of Wath upon Dearne, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N. of Rotherham."


"CORTWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Wath upon Dearne, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N. of Rotherham."


"ELSECAR, a hamlet in the township of Brampton-Bierlow, parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Barnsley. The neighbourhood abounds in ironstone and coal, which are extensively worked; there are also quarries of excellent building-stone. A branch of the Dearne and Dove canal extends to the village, which is considerable, and contains extensive works for the smelting of pig-iron, and foundries for castings of all kinds. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York. There is a village school. Some beautiful fossils are found. Earl Fitzwilliam is the chief proprietor of the land."


"HOOBER, a hamlet in the township of Brampton Bierlow, parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Rotherham, and 5 S.E. of Barnsley."


"HOOD HILL, a hamlet in the chapelry of Wentworth, and parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Rotherham."


"NETHER HOYLAND, a chapelry in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Barnsley, its post town, 10 N.W. of Sheffield, and 1 mile from the Birdwell station on the South Yorkshire line of railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the Dearne and Dove canal, and on the Sheffield and Wakefield turnpike road. The chapelry contains the villages of Upper Hoyland, Hoyland-lane End, and Elsecar, with the hamlets of Broad-Carr and Stubbin. There are considerable iron foundries, also brick and tile kilns, and numerous coal mines. A mechanics' institute was erected here in 1840. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £340. The church, which was rebuilt on the site of the old chapel in 1830, is a stone edifice with a lofty spired tower, and is dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There are National and infant schools supported by voluntary contributions. The Primitive and Reformed Methodists have each a chapel, and the Wesleyans two. Earl Fitzwilliam is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"NEW MILL, a hamlet in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Rotherham."


"STUBBIN, a hamlet in the chapelry of Nether Hoyland, parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Rotherham."


"SWINTON, a chapelry and township in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, N. division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Rotherham, its post town, and 9 S.W. of Doncaster. It is a junction station on the North Midland railway. The village is situated at the junction of the Dearne and Dove navigation with the river Don, and has several shops. The population of the township in 1861 was 3,190. The gas-works were established in 1856. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the Don potteries and in a porcelain manufactory established by Earl Fitzwilliam. A large portion of the land is in pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £340. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, was rebuilt, chiefly at the expense of Earl Fitzwilliam, who gave the site in 1817. There are National schools for both sexes, including infants, at which Sunday-schools are also held. The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels. The Earl Fitzwilliam is lord of the manor."


"WENTWORTH, a township and chapelry in the parish of Wath-upon-Dearne, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Rotherham, 8 N. of Sheffield, and 2 E. of Chappel Town station on the South Yorkshire railway. The chapelry includes part of the ecclesiastical district of Thorpe Hesley, and the hamlets of Barrow, Barley Hall, and Hoodhill. The population are chiefly employed in tillage and in the collieries, which belong to Earl Fitzwilliam, whose seat, Wentworth Woodhouse, is situated about a mile E. of the village; it contains a banqueting hall 60 feet by 40, and a picture gallery 130 feet long, with a collection of paintings and ancient marbles. In the grounds are the Keppel pillar and the Grecian mausoleum, 90 feet high, erected in 1788 by the second Earl Fitzwilliam, in honour of his uncle the Marquis of Rockingham, with a statue by Nollekens and inscription by Burke. Surrounding it is a deer park of 1,500 acres. In the village is a mechanics' institute, library, and savings-bank. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £125. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, has been recently enlarged, at the cost of Earl Fitzwilliam., The interior contains monuments to the Wentworth family. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there are National and other schools. The local charities produce about £135 per annum, including the endowments of the free school and almshouses, founded in 1697, pursuant to the will of William Wentworth, Earl of Strafford. Earl Fitzwilliam is lord of the manor."


"WEST MELTON, a hamlet in the township of Brampton Bierlow and parish of Wath upon Dearne, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Rotherham."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013