|Yorkshire||West Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"WHISTON, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Hallamshire; 2 miles SE. of Rotherham, 7½ from Sheffield, 11 from Tickhill, 50 from York. Pop. 859. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. James (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £10. Patron, Lord Howard of Effingham.
The Church is an ancient rectory, having belonged to the Lovetots, and descended from them to the Furnivals, Talbots, and Howards, Lords of Sheffield. In the 9th Edward II. Thomas de Furnival was Lord of this Manor, which still belongs to his representative, the Duke of Norfolk. Here is a small endowed School, by Frances Mansel, in 1728, value about £30. per ann. --Hunter's Hallamshire."
"CANKLOW, a hamlet in the township and parish of Whiston, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 1½ miles S. of Rotherham."
"GUILTHWAITE, a hamlet in the township of Whiston, and parishes of Whiston and Rotherham, upper-division of Stainforth and Tickhill; (Gilthwaite Hall, the seat of John Outram, Esq.) 2 miles from Rotherham, 5 from Sheffield, 12 from Worksop, (Notts.)
Here was a mineral spring discovered in 1664, by Mr. George Westby, of this place, who made a large Bath and built a house over it. --Short. The waters had some reputation; but after the death of Mr. Westby, and of Dr. Yarburgh, of Newark, who sent many patients, they sunk into a state of almost utter neglect. --Hunter's Hallamshire."
"HERRINGTHORPE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Whiston; 2 miles E. of Rotherham."
"MORTHEN, a hamlet in the township of Whiston, and parishes of Whiston and Rotherham, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (Morthen Hall, the seat of Nicholas Timm, Esq.) 4 miles SE. of Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield, 11 from Tickhill."
"UPPER WHISTON, a hamlet in the township and parish of Whiston, 2½ miles SE. of Rotherham, 8 from Sheffield."
"The parish, now greatly reduced in area compared with earlier centuries, was formerly in the old Deanery of Doncaster which formed a part of the Archdeaconry of York within the Diocese of York. In 1884 the parishes of the old Deanery of Doncaster became part of the newly formed Archdeaconry of Sheffield, still within the Diocese of York. Whiston`s immediate administrative ties with York were finally severed in 1913 when the Diocese of Sheffield was created."
Extract from "The Parish Church of St.Mary Magdalene, Whiston" by John D. Griffin (1967).
The Patron is now the Bishop of Sheffield.