GENUKI Home page    Whitgift Parish<br>main page Whitgift
Parish
main page

WHITGIFT:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"WHITGIFT, a parish in the lower division of Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Howden, and 4 E. of Goole. The parish is situated on the banks of the river Ouse, near its confluence with the Trent and Humber, and contains the townships of Ousefleet, Reedness, Whitgift, and Swinefleet, which last is also a chapelry and large village, with church and schools. The population of the parish in 1861 was 2,298, but of the township only 315. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value 270, and 90 acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, was erected in 1302, on land given by Henry de Laci, Earl of Lincoln. There is besides a chapel-of-ease at Swinefleet. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. There are National schools at Whitgift and Swinefleet. The charities produce about 130 per annum. Fairs are held on the 22nd and 23rd July; and a statute fair at Michaelmas."


"OUSEFLEET, a township in the parish of Whitgift, lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross wapentake; West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Howden, and the same distance N.E. of Goole. It is situated on the river Ouse, which bounds the township on the N. In 1727, Emanuel Empson founded here a small endowed school, which has now an income from land of about 40 per annum. The Independents have a place of worship. The tithes of this township were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1828."


"REEDNESS, a township in the parish of Whitgift, lower division of Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Howden. It is situated on the river Ouse, across which is a ferry to Saltmarsh, belonging to the Bishop of Durham. The village is considerable, but wholly agricultural. There is an endowed school. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. About 400 acres are warp-land, lately reclaimed from the river and brought into cultivation. The tithes of this township, together with those of Swinefleet, were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1759."


"SWINEFLEET, a chapelry in the parish of Whitgift, lower division of Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Howden, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Goole. It is on the S. bank of the river Ouse, and formed part of the honour of Pontefract. The village, which was formerly a market town under the Lacys, earls of Lincoln, consists of a long range of houses close to the Ouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 127, in the patronage of the Vicar of Whitgift. The church is old. The charities produce about 35 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014