|Yorkshire||West Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"WHITGIFT, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles SE. of Howden, 8 from Crowle, (Linc.) 13 from Snaith, 26 from York. Pop. 310. The Church, peculiar, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen, in the deanry of Pontefract. Patron, Lord Yarborough.
This place is one of those many villages which encompass the river island, wherein are Ditchmarsh and Marsh Land. It was anciently the estate of the Lacys, Earls of Lincoln, and afterwards descended to Henry, Lord Scroop, of Bolton, Chief Justice of the Kings Bench. --Magna Brit.
In December, 1614, the Hon. Sir John Sheffield, with his brothers, Sir Edmund and Mr. Philip Sheffield, sons to the Lord Sheffield, lord President of the North, in passing Whitgift Ferry over the Ouse, were drowned, with all their servants, and their bodies never found. --Drake.
During the siege of Hull in 1643, the royalists erected a Fort here to prevent Hull from receiving supplies by water. --Tickell's. Hist. Hull."
"OUSEFLEET, in the parish of Whitgift, wapentake of Osgoldcross; 7 miles SE. of Howden and 7 from Crowle, (Linc.) 14 from Snaith. Pop. 253."
"OUSEFLEET GRANGE, a farm-house in the township of Ousefleet, and parish of Whitgift; 7 miles from Howden and Crowle, (Linc.)"
"REEDNESS, in the parish of Whitgift, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 6½ miles S. of Howden, 7½ from Crowle, (Linc.) Pop. 683."
"SWINEFLEET, in the parish of Whitgift, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 4½ miles S. of Howden, 10 from Snaith and Crowle, (Linc.) The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !£93. 18s. 8d."