"WOODKIRK, a parish in the lower division, of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Wakefield, containing 1515 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in. the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £10 per annum private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Cardigan. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. This parish wasanciently called Woodkirk: it contains extensive coal mines, and the manufacture of stuffs and woollen goods is carried on. In 1745, Richard Micklethwaite bequeathed land, the produce of which was to be applied to the instruction of three poor children; and, in 1752, John Micklethwaite left £50, directing the interest to be applied to a similar purpose. Here are almshouses for three widows. An old mansion, once the seat of Sir John Topcliffe, Lord Chief Justice in the reigns of Henry VII. and Henry VIII., has been converted into a farm-house."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]