Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for NRY HISTORY CONTENTS:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

NRY HISTORY CONTENTS:

THE PARLIAMENTARY DIVISIONS. Previous to the year 1832, the North Riding had no parliamentary representation separate from the whole county; but by the Reform Bill of that year two members were allotted to each Riding; the boroughs of Aldborough, Boroughbridge, and Hedon were disfranchised, and those of Northallerton and Thirsk were deprived of one member. Bradford, Halifax, Leeds, and Sheffield were constituted parliamentary boroughs with two members each, and Huddersfield, Wakefield, and Whitby with one member each. The Ainsty of York was for parliamentary purposes united with the North Riding. The Reform Act of 1868 deprived Richmond and Malton of one representative each, and conferred the electoral dignity on Middlesbrough, to which was allotted one member, but the Riding otherwise remained unaltered.

Under the Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885, the North Riding was divided into four Electoral Divisions, viz., Cleveland, Richmond, Thirsk and Malton, and Whitby. The boroughs of Malton, Northallerton, Richmond, and Thirsk were disfranchised, and amalgamated with the Parliamentary Divisions in which they are situated, and Scarborough was deprived of one member. The parishes and places comprised in each of these Parliamentary Divisions are described in alphabetical order under their respective headings in the following pages, and need not be here repeated.

The Representatives

REPRESENTATIVES. - Cleveland Division, Henry Fell Pease, Esq., J.P. & D.L., Brinkburn, Darlington; Stanhope Castle, Durham, and Reform and Devonshire Clubs, London, S.W. Richmond Division, George William Elliot, Esq., J.P. & D.L., Scruton Hall, Bedale; 1, Park Street, Park Lane, W.; Garrick Club, W.C., and Carlton and St. Stephen's Clubs, London, S.W. Thirsk and Malton Division, The Hon. Payan Dawnay, Beningbrough Hall, York; 51, Charles Street, Berkeley Square, W., and Guards', Carlton and Travellers' Clubs, London, S.W. Whitby Division, Ernest William Beckett, Esq., J.P., Kirkstall Grange.

The County Council

County Council. - This body was constituted in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act of 1888, which decreed that in every administrative county, as defined by the Act, an elective body called a County Council shall be established, which shall be entrusted with the management of the administrative and financial business of the county hitherto transacted by the magistrates at the Quarter Sessions. Under this Act the Ridings of Yorkshire form separate administrative counties. The North Riding is divided into fifty three divisions, each of which elects one councillor, the Borough of Richmond one councillor, and the Borough of Scarborough six. The Municipal Boroughs of York and Middlesbrough are, by this Act, constituted separate administrative counties. Each council consists of a chairman, aldermen, one-half of whom shall retire in rotation every third year, and councillors. The Act came into force on the first of April, 1889, and the elections in the several divisions took place in the previous January. The first provisional meeting of the council for the election of a chairman, was held on the 27th of February, 1889, and at the subsequent provisional meetings the various arrangements and appointments were made to bring the Act into operation. Chairman - The Hon. John Charles Dundas, D.L., J.P., Mount St. John, Thirsk. Vice-Chairman - The Hon. George Edwin Lascelles, J.P., Sion Hill, Thirsk.

The Aldermen

Retire in 1891 -

  • Dale John, Esq., J.P., Filey Road, Scarborough
  • Dawnay The Hon. Payan, J.P., Beningbrough Hall, York
  • Legard Major Jas. Digby, Gilling Castle, York
  • Milbank P. C., Esq., J.P., Park House, Bedale
  • Pennyman J. S., Esq., J.P., Ormesby Hall, Middlesbro'
  • Ripon The Most Hon. the Marquis of, K.G., Studley Park, Ripon
  • Rutherford James, Kirkleatham, Redcar
  • Smith Joseph, South Holme, York
  • Wilson Col. J. G., D.L, J.P., Cliffe Hall, Darlington
  • Wombwell Sir G. 0., Bart., D.L., J.P., Newburgh Priory, Easingwold
  • Retire in 1894 -
  • Lascelles The Hon. G. E., J.P., Sion Hill, Thirsk
  • Lowther The Right Hon. J., J.P., Wilton Castle, Redcar
  • Newton E. H., Westwood, Scarborough
  • Pease Sir J. W., Bart., D.L., J.P., Hutton Hall, Guisbro'
  • Richardson W. B., Esq., J.P., Elm Bank, York
  • Roper G., Esq., J.P., The Grove, Richmond
  • Rutson A. 0., Esq., J.P., Newby Wiske, Northallerton
  • Smith Jacob, Humburton, York
  • Sowerby J. P., Esq., Stokesley
  • Willis Thomas. Carperby, Bedale

Councillors

   NAMES.                           ELECTORAL                 NAMES                 ELECTORAL
DIVISIONS. DIVISIONS.
&npsp;
Anderson G. H. Loftus Dodsworth Sir C. E. S.,
Bagnall T. Eskdaleside Bart. Masham
Barker R. Startforth Duncombe Hon. C. Kirbymoorside
Baxter W. N. South Otterington Dundas Hon. J. C. Redcar & Saltburn
Beacham E. South Eston Emerson J. J. Osmotherley
Bell R. Thirsk Feversham The Earl of Helmsley
Bell T. H. Brotton Finch E. H. W. Stokesley
Booth W. C. Catterick Forster R. Scarbro' North
Byron T. Snainton Ward
Cayley D. Norton Glen J. Normanby
Clarkson R. P. Scarbro'West Ward Hartley J. Malton
Clayhills J. M. East Whitby Hawking H. Easingwold
Darley H. Scarbro' South Ward Hawking J. Wath
Ward Head C. A. South Thornaby
Hedley W. Yarm Seymour W. North Eston
Hutton J. Northallerton Smirthwaite J. G. Scarbro' N. W.
I'Anson J. Topcliffe Ward
Johnstone Hon. F. Scalby Stevenson J. Ruswarp
Kinnear T. J. Sheriff Hutton Walker G. Richmond
Knowles E. A. Reeth Walker W. E. Kirkleatham
Melrose J. Clifton Wharton W. H. A. Skelton
Mitchelson J. M. Pickering Whitwell W. North Thornaby
Newton J. Stillington Wilford B. Brompton
Palmer Sir C. M., Bart. Hinderwell Wilson J. Ormesby
Pannett R. E. West Whitby Wilson-Todd W. H. Croft
Pease A. E. Guisbro' Winn J. C. Aysgarth
Peirse Sir H. M. de la Poer Winn W. Great Ayton
B., Bart. Bedale Wood W. A. Flaxton
Powlett Hon. W. T. Orde. Leyburn Woodall C. W. Scarbro' East Ward
Pyman G. Lythe Woodall J. W. Scarbro' Central
Rowlandson S. Gilling Ward
Scoby W. Thornton Worsley Sir W. C., Bart. Hovingham
Scrope S. T. Middleham Zetland, The Earl of Marske-by-the-Sea

Clerk to the County Council - Thomas Lawrence Yeoman. Deputy Clerk to the Council - William Charles Trevor. County Offices and Place of Meeting - Northallerton.
Previous part Previous
part
Next part Next
part


Data transcribed from:
Bulmer's North Riding
Scan, OCR and html software by Colin Hinson.
Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.