GENUKI Home page

upCounty Armagh Contents Contents

ARMAGH (CITY)

ARMAGH, a city, parliamentary and municipal borough and parish of Ireland, capital of the county, and the archiepiscopal seat of the Primate of "all Ireland," near the Callan and the Ulster Canal, 70 miles N. by W. of Dublin. It is connected by railway with Belfast, is well built, chiefly of hard, red marble; the streets diverge from the cathedral down the sides of a hill, and are clean, lighted with gas, and well supplied with water. It has a Protestant chapel of ease, 2 Roman Catholic, 2 Methodist, an Independent, and 3 Presbyterian chapels, a county court-house, prison, county infirmary, lunatic asylum, 5 banks, a public library with 14,000 volumes, observatory with fine apparatus, and barracks for 800 men. The city has a large inland trade in corn, linen, and yarn. Assizes, and quarter sessions are held here, besides a manorial court by the archbishop for pleas of 10 L. and under. Pop. (1851) 8,849
[Quoted in Fianna's Armagh page.]

Description and Travel

Edited by Brian Randell and Richard White, last updated 11 March 1999

Return to top of page