GRANGEFORTH, a parish, in the barony and county of Carlow, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Tullow, on the road to Carlow; containing 926 inhabitants. By inquisition taken in 1601 it appears that it belonged to Fferdoroghe O'Gormogane, but it was granted to Sir John Ponsonby in 1669.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Urglin: the tithes amount to £264.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Tullow, and contains a chapel. There is a public school, in which about 150 children are educated.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.