KILTENNEL, a parish, in the barony of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Graigue, on the road to Enniscorthy; containing 3206 inhabitants. It comprises 1826 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is in a wild district bordering on Mount-Leinster. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to £385, of which £250 is payable to the impropriator, and £135 to the vicar. The church, which is in Killedmund, is a neat building. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Borris. There are a parochial and a national school, in which about 280 children are educated; and two private schools, in which are about 200 children. The ruins of the old church are covered with ivy; there are also the remains of a chapel at its eastern end, which was erected in 1789 by Capt.
E. Byrne, and the fragments of a granite cross and a cairn.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.