MYSHALL, a parish, partly in the barony of IDRONE-EAST, but chiefly in that of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (E. S. E.) from Leighlin-bridge, on the road from Newtown-Barry to Bagnalstown, and on the north side of the river Burren; containing 2874 inhabitants, of which number, 123 are in the village. The parish comprises 9220 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4744 per annum. There is a great deal of waste mountain land, and much bog; but agriculture is improving. There are quarries which yield stone for building. The village consists of 19 houses; it has a penny post to Leighlin-Bridge, and is a constabulary police station; petty sessions are held on alternate Wednesdays, and road sessions four times in the year.
Fairs are held on May 10th and Sept. 14th, for cattle, sheep and pigs. Myshall Lodge is the residence of J, Brody, Esq.; and Holly-brook, of A. Bloomfield Feltus, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £400. There are six statute acres of glebe, on which stands the glebe-house. The church is a plain building, towards the repairs of which, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £203; it was built in 1811, by aid of a gift of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Myshall and Fennagh, in each of which is a chapel; that of Myshall is a neat building, kept in excellent order. There is a school at Shangarry, of which the house, a good stone building, was erected at an expense of £200, partly by government and partly by subscription; and one at Myshall, in which are about 150 children. There is also a private school of about 130 children. The ruins of the old church, overgrown with ivy, are situated on the townland of Myshall, and have a burial-ground annexed; there is also a burial-ground on the townland of Ballaghmore. At Knockrimah is a chalybeate spa.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.