TULLOWMAGRINAGH, or THUMAGURNA, a parish, in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Carlow, on the road from Leighlin-bridge to Tullow; containing 1109 inhabitants. It comprises 5913 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, chiefly under an improved system of tillage. The seats are Castletown, the residence of-Faulkner; Esq.; Racroge, of W.Elliott, Esq.; and Kilballyhue, of - Nolan, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming the corps of the prebend of Tullowmagrinagh, in the cathedral of Leighlin, and part of the union of Ballinacarrig or Staplestown: the tithes amount to £320. 15. In the R. C.
divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Tinriland, comprising also the parishes of Ballinacarrig, Ballycrogue, and Benekerry, and containing the chapels of Tinriland and Benekerry, the former of which is in this parish. At Tinriland is a national school, in which about 340 children are educated. Mr. Haughton, a translator of some of Fenelon's works, lived in the parish.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.