Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"The town of Stradone
near the western boundary of the parish, and on the direct line of road connecting Cavan with Bailieborough and Cootehill with Ballyjamesduff, contains 67 dwelling houses, a dispensary and a small detachment of police. 5 grocery shops, 5 spirit retailers and 10 lodging houses denote the the occupations of the inhabitants.
[From Ordnance Survey Memoirs ,
- Masterson, J. Ireland: 1841/1851 Census Abstracts (Republic of Ireland), Genealogical Publishing Co., MD, 1999, p. 59
- 1851 Census
- John BRENNAN, head, na, R.I.C. (Royal Irish Constabulatory)
- Catherine BRENNAN, wife, na, nee CAHILL
- Daniel BRENNAN, son, 4
- Bridget BRENNAN, dau, 2
- Annie BRENNAN, dau, 1
- 1814: "A Census of Protestant Children in the Parishes of Drung and Larah, Co. Cavan" Irish Ancestor, v. 10, No. 1, 1978 , p. 33-37
- Townland of Stradone (Town of Stradone)
- Samuel, Margaret, Ann, of Edward Hartley.
- George, of Samuel Hartley.
- Thomas, Samuel, Edward, Margaret, of Roger Hartley.
- John, Richard, William, Bartholomew, Mary, Ann, Sophia, of William West.
- Samuel, Mary, Margaret, of Robert Charters.
- Charles, James, John, Margaret, Catherine, of John Parsons.
- Robert, John, James, Sarah, of Robert Pikins.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Stradone which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on Lat/Lon: 53.982137,-7.236900 (OSI grid reference H501039), Stradone which are provided by:
- The Connaught Journal, Galway, Monday, November 3, 1823 Marriages. In St. Peter's Church, Dublin, by the Rev. Mr. Lewis, Samuel Hurtley, late of Stradone, Co. Cavan to Miss Anne Darby of Kevin-street. Posted to IRELAND-OLD-NEWS-L by Cathy Joynt Labath, Apr 2002.
- Daily News, Feb 14, 1856 Deaths. BURROWES - Feb 10 at Brighton, Honora, daughter of R. Burrowes, Esq. M.P. of Stradone House, Cavan, aged 12.
- Cunningham, T.P. "Burrowes of Stradone House", Heart of Breifne, 1980, pp. 24-29