"Mullagh, a market-town and parish, in the barony of Castletrahan, county of Cavan, and pro-vince of Ulster, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Kells, on the road to Bailieborough; containing 5960 inhabitants, of which number, 108 are in the town. This parish is situated on the confines of the county of Meath, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 12,873 statute acres, of which 140¾ are water, and there are large tracts of bog and mountain; the general quality of the land is good. There is abundance of stone for building; some slate is found on the glebe, and coal exists, but is not worked. The town, which consists of 36 houses, is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held on alternate Fridays. It has a weekly market; and fairs for the sale of cattle and pigs, oats, butter, and flax, are held on Jan. 20th, March 25th, May 27th July 29th, Sept. 80th, and Nov, 25th."
[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)