ENNIS, a borough, and market-town, in the parish of Domcliffe, barony of Islands, county of Clare, (of which it is the chief town), and province of Munster, 18 miles (N.W.) from Limerick, on the mail road to Galway, and 111 3/4 (S.W.) from Dublin; containing 7711, and within the new electoral boundary, 9747 inhabitants. This place derives its name, formerly spelt Innis or Inish, signifying an island, from the insulation of a considerable plot of ground by the river Fergus. According to the Ulster Annals, it was anciently called Inniseluan-ruadha, and one of its suburbs is still called Clonroad. MacCurtin states that it was eminent as a seat of learning, upwards of 600 scholars and 350 monks having been here supported by O'Brien erected a noble monastery at Ennis for Franciscan friars, which in 1305, according to the Annals of Innisfallen, was rebuilt or repaired and much adorned by another branch of that family. It was for a long period the place of scpulture of the princes of Thomond, and occasionally of the chiefs of the sept of MacNamara; and its prosperity appears to have been in these times dependent on this circumstance. In 1306, Dermot, grandson of Brien-Roe, at the head of a body of native and English forces, entirely destroyed the town. In 1311, Donogh, King of Thomond, bestowed the whole revenue of his principality for the enlargement and support of this monastery, and some time after the refectory and sacristy were built by Mathew MacNamara. It is recorded in the Ulster Annals that Terence O'Brien, bishop of Killaloe, was here barbarously slain, in 1460 by Brien O'Brien. The friary was reformed by Franciscans of the Strict Observance: it remained in the Crown for some time subsequent to the Reformation, and was granted, in 1621, to Wm. Dongan, Esq. In 1609 Donogh, or Donat, Earl of Thomond, obtained a grant of a market and fairs to be held here; and in 1612 "the town of Inish," was created a borough. In 1661, the goods of some of the townspeople were seized in payment of salary due to Isaac Granier, one of their representatives in parliament, but were released on their stating that he had agreed to serve gratuitously as their representative.
It is situated nearly in the centre of the county, on the principal or south-western branch of the river Fergus, which surrounds a portion of the town and its north-eastern suburbs; two of the principal streets form a continuous line following the winding of the river, and a third branches off from the court house towards Limerick. The most populous of these is very narrow and irregularly built, and the entrance from Limerick is rendered equally inconvenient by a projecting angle of the court-house, which from its dilapiadated state requires to be rebuilt. In 1831 the town comprised 1104 hourses, and within the new electoral boundary, 1390; the suburbs, which are very extensive, consist chiefly of cabins. A new street of superior houses has been lately built between the county infirmary and the river; and a handsome bridge of a single arch, which parapets of hewn stone, has been recently completed, at the expense of £800, on the site of a former one nearly opposite the abbey. The town is not lighted, and the police perform the duty of a nightly patrol. A county club-house has been established; there are also two subscription news rooms; and races are held annually in the autumn, which generally continue five days. The numerous seats in the vicinity are noticed under the head of Domcliffe and the adjacent parishes, in which they are situated. The woolen manufacture, which formerly flourished here, has greatly declined; but the trade in corn, butter and other produce has much increased. About 60,000 barrels of wheat, 100,000 of oats, and 30,000 of barley, are annually sold in the market, and chiefly shipped to Clare, about two miles distant, to which place the Fergus is navigable for lighters, and thence to the sea for vessels of considerble burden. A plan for improving the navigation between Ennis and Clare, is noticed in the account of the latter town, which is considered the port of Ennis. A weighing house for butter, of which a large quantity is annualy exported, was built in 1825, and there are several large corn stores. Ennis Mills, which have been recently enlarged are capable of producing 30,000 barrels of flour annually; the produce is much esteemed in the Limerick market. At Clonroad is the extensive brewery of Messrs. Harley and Co., who are also about to re-establish a distillery formerly carried on at that place; and there is a smaller brewery in the town; the Ennis ale is in great repute. Branches of the Provincial and Agricultural Banks, and a savings' bank have been established. A market for the sale of country produce is held daily, but the principal markets are on Tuesday and Saturday, and are abundantly supplied with provisions of every description. Fairs are held in the town on April 9th, and Sept. 3rd, and at Clonroad on May 9th, Aug. 14th, and Dec. 3rd; of the latter, the first three are large fairs for cattle and horses, and the last is chiefly for pigs.
The parish church, which forms part of the ancient abbey, was much injured by lightning in 1817; the abbey tower was also damaged and the bell destroyed. The late Board of First Fruits granted £2000 for its renovation, and the tower was subsequently heightened by the addition of battlements and pinnacles: a grant of £146 has been recently made by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for the further improvement of the church. The organ was presented, in 1825, by the Earl of Egremont. The R.C. district of Ennis comprises the eastern part of the parish of Dromcliffe, including is an old building, situated in an obscure part of the town. A chaste and elegant cruciform structure, from a design by Mr. Madden, was commenced in 1831, on a more eligble site, under the superintendence of the Very Rev. Dean O'Shaughnessy, P.P., which is intended for the cathedral of the R.C. diocese of Killaloe: the tower will be surmounted by a spire rising to the height of 140 feet. The estimated expense is £5000, towards which Sir Edward O'Brien, Bart., of Dromoland, contributed £100; the site was presented by Francis Gore, Esq. A small society of Franciscans has a chapel which is open to the public; and to the east of the town is an Ursuline convent, established about seven years since. There are meeting houses for Primitive Methodists and Independents; and a congregation of Separatists meet in the court house; the Methodist meeting house is a modern building, erected chiefly at the expense of Mr. Leach. Ennis college is one of the four classical schools found by the munificent bequest of Erasmus Smith. The school house, which is situated at a short distance north of the town, was built about 70 years since by the trustees, who have recently added wings and out offices, and made other extensive improvements, at an expense of nearly £1200; it is now capable of accommodating more than 100 boarders, and a large number of day scholars. The building, which presents an imposing front, is approached from the extremity of the promenade called the "College walk" by a handsome gateway of four octangular pillars, and, together with the extensive play ground, is surrounded by a high wall. The head master receives a salary of £100 from the trustees, and is allowed the full benefit of the establishment as a boarding and day school; the second master also receives £100; and the third £80. The course of instruction comprises the ancient and modern languages, mathematics, and English composition, and there are usually ten free day scholars on the foundation. The parochial school, in Jail Street, is supported by subscription; a school is held in Cook's Lane meeting house, and a Sunday school in the church. Near the town is a large ans substantial school house, built in 1830, at an expense of £800, of which £200 was contributed by the National Board, by whom the school, in which are about 400 boys, is partly supported, and partly by collections at the R.C. chapel. About 200 girls are instructed by the nuns of the convent, by whom they are also taught every description of useful and ornamental needlework. Connected with the nunnery school is a preparatory establishment for very yound girls, under the patronage of Dean O'Shaughnessy, who contributes £6 per ann. towards its support. The County Infirmary, situated on the north side of the town, is a substantial building, containing four wards for male and two for female patients, with a dispensary, and accommodations for a resident surgeon and apothecary. The Fever Hospital is situated in a confined part of the town, but one for the county is now being erected in a more appropriate situation and on a larger scale, to which a cholera hospital will be attached. The House of Industry immediately adjoins the infirmary, and contains three male and four female wards, it was built by subscription about the year 1775, and is governed by a corporation under an act of the Irish parliament. A loan fund for the benefit of the poorer classes of tradesmen and farmers, has been for some time in operation, and a mendicity society was established in 1832. The remains of the Franciscan abbey, founded by the Kings of Thomond of whom several were interred in it, still present many traces of its ancient grandeur. Of these, its principal is the grand eastern window, upwards of 30 feet high, consisting of five lancet shaped compartments, separated by stone mullions, and universally admired for its exceedingly light proportions and beautiful workmanship. In the chancel is the "Abbot's chair," which with the altar, is richly sculptured with figures in high relief; and some of the ancient monuments, also profusely sculptured with figures in high relief; and some of the ancient monuments also profusely sculptured, still exists.
Samuel Lewis, 1837
INFORMATION RELATED TO ENNIS
- The Clare Guild. Official Guide of County Clare, by D. Roche
- County Clare, A History and Topography. Reprinted by Clasp Press, 1995, from A History and Topography of County Clare which was originally published in 1837 as part of A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland.
- The Merchants of Ennis. By Seán Spellissy. Published 1996 for Ennis Chamber of Commerce by On Stream Publications Ltd., Cloghroe, Blarney, Co. Cork.
- The Ennis Compendium, From Royal Dún to Information Age Town. By Seán Spellissy. A combined history and business directory for Ennis and Clarecastle. Published 1998 by The Book Gallery, 68 Parnell Street, Ennis, Co. Clare.
- The 1901 Census of Ireland is the earliest census to survive which gives details on individuals. These details are Christian name and surname, relationship to the head of the family, religion, ability to read and write, age, sex, occupation, maritial status, county of birth, ability to speak Irish and English and whether a person is deaf, dumb, idiot or lunatic.
- The Church of Christ the King (Críost Rí) which was opened in 1978 to serve the growing population in the Cloughleigh area of the town, is one of the smallest churches in the parish.
- St. Joseph’s is situated in the "west end" of Ennis, on the road that links the Galway road to the Tulla road.
- Franciscan Friary, it’s great to be a Franciscan in Ennis! Besides the close relationship we have with the local parish, we are also very lucky in having all three branches of the Franciscan Family here in the town.
- St Columba's, Bindon Street, is the central church of a six church grouping. It was built in 1871 under the ministry of Canon Philip Dwyer, a historian of Killaloe Diocese.
- Description. Ennis, straddling the River Fergus, is the county town of Clare, a centre not alone of its administration, but of commerce and industry. It is also the cathedral town of the Catholic diocese of Killaloe. The town grew around a castle built in the 13th century by a chief of the powerful O'Brien family, which established its headquarters at nearby Clonroad. It became a borough in 1612.
- The town of Ennis developed around this 13th century Abbey. It was founded by the O'Brien's for the Franciscans in the 1240's. The well-preserved ruins consist of a nave, chancel, belfry and an arcaded cloister. It contains medieval sculpture of high quality.
- De Valera Memorial. In the town park near the Courthouse, is a larger than life bronze statue of Eamon de Valera mounted on a limestone pedestal. The former President of Ireland is depicted taking the salute and was sculpted by Jim Connolly.
- O'Connell Monument. A corner of O'Connell Square is occupied by the massive pediment and tall limestone column supporting a statue of Daniel O'Connell, toga-clad, who was the M.P. for Clare from 1828 to 1831.
- Ennis National School, Kilrush Road, Ennis-Phone : 065-6829158
- Colaiste Muire is a voluntary secondary school, under the trusteeship of the Sisters of Mercy, and managed by a board - comprising staff, parents and trustee representatives.
- Rice College, a co-educational secondary school, the management, staff, and pupils of the school continually endeavour to cultivate an atmosphere within the school, which is imbued with the Christian sprit of concern and caring for each other.
- St. Flannans College has a proud secondary school tradition that stretches back to its foundation in 1846. The school aims to offer a Catholic education to its students through a varied curriculum.
- St. Anne's, a progressively modern Primary and Secondary School that specialises in providing programmes designed to cater for students with learning difficulties ranging in ages from 4 to 18.
- St. Clares, a school that caters for students with moderate to severe levels of learning disability. Students range in age from 4 to 18 years old.