GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

NEWMARKET

"Newmarket", village in the parish of Aughaviller, barony of Knocktopher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (S.) from Knocktpoher, on the road to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 110 inhabitants. It comprises about 20 houses, and contains one of the two R. C. chapels belonging to the union of Ballyhale. Here are the remains of an ancient round tower and of a castle and abbey, the latter containing the cemetery of the Castlemorris family, whose seat, surrounded by a well-planted demesne of about 400 plantation acres, is in the vicinity. The ruins of the castle consist chiefly of the keep, which attests its former magnitude; and at Danganmore are the remains of another castle, which formerly gave the title of baron palatine to the family of Comerford, dependents of the Earl of Ormonde. On the summit of an elevation in the vicinity, called the King's mountain, are four great natural bridges, one of red argillite and the rest of breccia; from this elevation a most extensive view is obtained of the rich and cultivated plain towards Kells and Kilkenny, embracing also part of the county of Waterford.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Aghaviller	Newmarket     		185	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 27 Apr 1999

Return to top of page