GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

AGLISH

"Aglish", or Aglishmartin, a parish, in the barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (W.) from Waterford, on the river Suir, and on the road from Waterford to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 401 inhabitants, of which number, 142 are in the village. It comprises 2414 statute acres, and is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to 96.18.5 1/2. There is neither church nor glebe-house; the glebe consists of 2 1/2 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Moncoin.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Aglish. RC Parish: Mooncoin.
Earliest Records: b. Dec 1797; m. Jan 1772.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic		Time 		FHLC
parish		parish			period		number
Aglish		Mooncoin		1856-1880	0979702

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Aglish		Aglish North		235	Ossory    
Aglish		Aglish South		291	Ossory    
Aglish		Curraghmartin		153	Ossory    
Aglish		Cussana			58	Ossory    
Aglish		Mountneill		315	Ossory    
Aglish		Portnahully       	288	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 10 Apr 1999

Return to top of page