"Aharney", or Agharney, also called LISDOWNEY, a parish, partly in the barony of Upper Ossory, Queeen's county, but chiefly in that of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and in the province of Leinster, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Durrow, on the road to Kilkenny; containing 2156 inhabitants. It comprises 6809 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4616 per ann., and is nearly equally divided between tillage and pasturage; there is plenty of limestone, used both for building and burning. Ballyconra, situated in a fine demesne on the banks of the Nore, is the ancient seat of the family of Butler, Earls of Kilkenny. The living consists of a rectory and a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, the former united to the rectory of Attanagh, and the latter forming part of the vicarial union of Attanagh. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a district, called the union of Lisdowney, comprising the parishes of Aharney, Sheffin, Balleen, Coolcashin, and parts of Rathbeagh and Grange, and containing three chapels; that of Lisdowney, with a school-house attached, was built by subscription. The parochial church is in ruins; on the demesne of Ballyconra, where is the burial place of the family of Butler, are other remains; and on the opposite side of the river there is a Danish fort.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]