GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

LISDOWNEY

"Lisdowney", a village, in the parish of Aharney, barony of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (S.) from Durrow, on the road to Kilkenny; containing 28 houses and 162 inhabitants. It is situated on the confines of Queen's county, and contains the chapel giving name to the R.C. union or district [of Lisdowney], which latter comprises the [civil] parishes of Aharney, Sheffin, Balleen, and Coolcashin, and parts of Rathbeagh and Grange.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Aharney. RC Parish: Lisdowney.
Earliest Records: b. May 1817; m. Sep 1771.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic		Time 		FHLC
parish		parish			period		number
Aharney		Lisdowney		1771-1880	0926199

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Aharney		Lisdowney   		1755	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 28 Apr 1999

Return to top of page