GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

ARDERRA

"Arderra", or Ardera, a townland, in the barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Waterford; containing 334 inhabitants. This townland, which anciently was part of the possessions of the abbey of Jerpoint, is bounded on the north by the parish of Ullid, and on the south by that of Rathkyran, of which latter it is, in the civil divisions, considered to form a part, and comprises 804 statute acres. It is in the diocese of Ossory, and is one of eighteen denominations constituting the union of Burnchurch: the tithes amount to 69. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Moncoin.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Arderra. RC Parish: Mooncoin
Earliest Records: b. Dec 1797; m. Jan 1772.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic		Time 		FHLC
parish		parish			period		number
Arderra		Mooncoin		1856-1880	0979702

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Arderra		Ballincurra North	100	Ossory    
Arderra		Ballincurra South	93	Ossory    
Arderra     	Arderra     		583	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 10 Apr 1999

Return to top of page