"Ballinamara", or Ballynemara, a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 1/2 miles (S. S. E.) from Freshford; on the road from Kilkenny to Johnstown; containing 867 inhabitants. It comprises 3755 statute acres of tolerably good land, of which two-thirds consist of pasture land, and one-third is under tillage. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice, Kilkenny, to whom the rector is appropriate. The church is a plain modern building. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freshford. The parochial school is held in the vestry-room of the church; and there is a private pay school, in which are about 70 boys and 20 girls.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]