"Ballycallan", a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 1/4 miles (W. by S.) from Kilkenny; on the road to Kilenaule; containing 1807 inhabitants, and 5278 statute acres. Here is a station of the constabulary police. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Callan. The church serves as a chapel of ease to that at Callan, and is in bad repair. Contiguous to it there is a glebe of two acres. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parishes of Kilmanagh and Killaloe, and part of Callan, and contains three chapels, situated respectively at Ballycallan, Kilmanagh, and Killaloe. There are two private pay schools, in which 340 boys and 230 girls are taught.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]