"Ballygurrim", Ballygurrum, or Ballygorum, a parish, in the barony of Ida, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 1/4 miles (W. S. W.) from New Ross; containing 693 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Barrow, and comprises 1827 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The village is pleasantly situated near the confluence of the Suir and Barrow. Here is a square tower or castle, built at an early period by the Fforstall or Forestall family, which afterward belonged to the Aylwards, whose name is perpetuated in the that of Aylwardstown, the adjacent property of the Earl of Bessborough, and now the seat of the family of Strange. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Rossbercon; the rectory is impropriate in the Corporation of Waterford. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Slieruagh. There is a pay school, in which are about 50 children.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]