GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

BALLYGURRIM

"Ballygurrim", Ballygurrum, or Ballygorum, a parish, in the barony of Ida, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 1/4 miles (W. S. W.) from New Ross; containing 693 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Barrow, and comprises 1827 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The village is pleasantly situated near the confluence of the Suir and Barrow. Here is a square tower or castle, built at an early period by the Fforstall or Forestall family, which afterward belonged to the Aylwards, whose name is perpetuated in the that of Aylwardstown, the adjacent property of the Earl of Bessborough, and now the seat of the family of Strange. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Rossbercon; the rectory is impropriate in the Corporation of Waterford. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Slieruagh. There is a pay school, in which are about 50 children.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Ballygurrin. RC Parish: Slieverue
Earliest Records: b. Nov 1766; m. Feb 1766; d. Dec 1766.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic		Time 		FHLC
parish		parish			period		number
Ballygurrim	Glenmore		not available	
Note: The northern part of the R. C. parish of Slieverue became Glenmore.

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Ballygurrim	Ballycrony		498	Ossory    
Ballygurrim	Ballyverneen		273	Ossory    
Ballygurrim	Busherstown  		344	Ossory    
Ballygurrim	Forestalstown     	318	Ossory    
Ballygurrim	Jamestown      		294	Ossory    
Ballygurrim	Milltown		195	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 10 Apr 1999

Return to top of page