"Ballylarkin", a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 3/4 miles (S. W.) from Freshford; containing 243 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Freshford to Johnstown, and comprises 4733 statute acres of which 1370 are applotted under the tithe act. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice, Kilkenny, to whom the rectory is appropriate. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe: the Protestant inhabitants attend divine service at Freshford church. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freshford. Here are the ruins of a castle, once the seat of the Shortall family, which for a long time was of great note in this county.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]