GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

BALLYLARKIN

"Ballylarkin", a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 3/4 miles (S. W.) from Freshford; containing 243 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Freshford to Johnstown, and comprises 4733 statute acres of which 1370 are applotted under the tithe act. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice, Kilkenny, to whom the rectory is appropriate. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe: the Protestant inhabitants attend divine service at Freshford church. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freshford. Here are the ruins of a castle, once the seat of the Shortall family, which for a long time was of great note in this county.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Ballylarkin. RC Parish: Freshford.
Earliest Records: b. Jan 1773; m. Aug 1775.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic		Time 		FHLC
parish		parish			period		number
Ballylarkin	Freshford  		1873-1880	0926192

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Ballylarkin	Ballylarkin Lower	370	Ossory    
Ballylarkin	Ballylarkin Upper	540	Ossory    
Ballylarkin	Ballyphilip		247	Ossory    
Ballylarkin	Monabrogue		236	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 10 Apr 1999

Return to top of page