GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

BALLYTARSNEY

"Ballytarsney", a parish, in the barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 6 1/2 miles (E. S. E.) from Carrick-on-Suir; the population is returned with the parish of Poleroan. The parish is situated on the road from Waterford to Limerick, and is about five British furlongs in length and breadth, comprising 1116 statute acres. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Clonmore. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Moncoin. Here are the remains of a square fort, which appears to have been of considerable stength.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Ballytarsney. RC Parish: Mooncoin.
Earliest Records: b. Dec 1797; m. Jan 1772.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic		Time 		FHLC
parish		parish			period		number
Ballytarsney	Mooncoin		not available

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Ballytarsney	Afaddy or Silverspring	165	Ossory    
Ballytarsney	Ballytarsney		361	Ossory    
Ballytarsney	Kilcraggan     		369	Ossory    
Ballytarsney	Silverspring or Afaddy	165	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 10 Apr 1999

Return to top of page