"Ballytobin", a parish, in the barony of Kells, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 miles (S. E.) from Callan; containing 759 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Callan to Carrick-on-Suir, and comprises 2364 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Ballytobin House, the seat of Abraham Whyte Baker, Esq., is a place of considerable antiquity, and is situated in a fine demesne abounding with timber of aged growth, with a deer park attached. Here is a station of the constabulary police. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Kells. The church is a neat modern edifice with a spire. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Donemagan. There are two private schools, in which are about 40 boys and 20 girls.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]