We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Blackrath", a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Klikenny; containing 730 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork, and on the river Nore, on the banks of which there are two considerable flour mills. Lyrath, the seat of Sir J. D. W. Cuffe, Bart., is pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding a fine view of Kilkenny city. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, forming the corps of the prebend of Blackrath in the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, and in the patronage of the Bishop. There is neither church nor glebe-house, but there is a glebe of eight acres attached to the prebend. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Gowran. There is a private pay school, in which 50 boys and 30 girls are taught. Some remains of the old church yet remain.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: Blackrath. RC Parishes: Gowran, part St. John's.
Gowran and Clara - Earliest Records: b. Jan 1809; m. Jan 1810.
Clara - Earliest Records: b. 1779; m. 1778.
St. John's - Earliest Records: b. Jan 1789; m. Jun 1789
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC
parish parish period number
Blackrath Clara 1809-1828 0926194 Note: The northern part of the R. C. parish of Gowran became Clara
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Blackrath which are provided by:
Parish Townland Acres Diocese
Blackrath Ballynamona 53 Ossory
Blackrath Higginstown 629 Ossory
Blackrath Highrath 223 Ossory
Blackrath Lyrath 128 Ossory
Blackrath Maddockstown 593 Ossory
Blackrath Scart 48 Ossory
Blackrath Templemartin 82 Ossory
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Blackrath to another place.
The civil parish of Blackrath contained the following townlands.
You can see maps centred on Lat/Lon: 52.649208,-7.186947 (OSI grid reference S550556), Blackrath which are provided by: