"Castlecomer", a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of Fassadining, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 9 1/2 miles (N.) from Kilkenny, and 46 miles (S. W.) from Dublin; containing 13,242 inhabitants, of which number, 2436 are in the town. This town is situated on the river Deen, and on the road from Kilkenny, by Athy, to Dublin. The parish comprises 21,708 acres, and contains the principal portion of the extensive coal field of the district. The coal is of a kind commonly called Kilkenny coal, which, containing no bitumen, burns without blaze or smoke. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, situated in the town, is a neat edifice with a tower; and their is a chapel of ease at Mooneenroe, in the collieries. The glebe house was built in 1819. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the three several unions or districts of Castlecomer, Clough, and Muckalee, the first of which comprises about one-half of it; there are four chapels belonging to these unions, on of which is in the town. There is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Near the R. C. chapel is a convent, and adjoining it a school under the care of the nuns. The schools adjoining the parish church and chapel of ease are supported by annual donation of £100 from the Hon. C. B. Wandesford, and £34 from the rector; an infants' school is also supported by subscription. In these schools about 380 children receive gratuitous instruction; and there are also eight pay schools, in which are about 330 children, and three Sunday schools.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]