We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Clara", or Clarah, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 1/4 miles (E. by N.) from Kilkenny, containing 657 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Kilkenny, and contains 3165 statute acres. The principal seats are Clifden, the property of Viscount Clifden; Kilmagan, the residence of James Butler, Esq.; and Clara Castle, of A. Bryan, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of St. John's; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. The parochial church is in ruins: there is a glebe of 15 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Gowran, and has a neat chapel. There are two private schools, in which are 100 boys and 40 girls.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: Clara. RC Parish: Clara; Gowran
Clara - Earliest Records: b. 1779; m. 1778.
Gowran - Earliest Records: b. Jan 1809; m. Jan 1810.
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC
parish parish period number
Clara Clara 1809-1828 0926194 Note: The north of the R. C. parish of Gowran became Clara.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Clara which are provided by:
Parish Townland Acres Diocese
Clara Ballynamona 53 Ossory
Clara Baunmore 101 Ossory
Clara Churchclara 335 Ossory
Clara Clara Upper 559 Ossory
Clara Clarabricken 567 Ossory
Clara Clifden or Rathgarven 484 Ossory
Clara Clohoge 44 Ossory
Clara Coneygar 235 Ossory
Clara Eagleshill 67 Ossory
Clara Kilmagar 615 Ossory
Clara Kingsland 88 Ossory
Clara Rathgarvan or Clifden 484 Ossory
Clara Scart 48 Ossory
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clara to another place.
The civil parish of Clara contained the following townlands.
You can see maps centred on Lat/Lon: 52.661548,-7.142143 (OSI grid reference S580570), Clara which are provided by: