GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

CLARA

"Clara", or Clarah, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 1/4 miles (E. by N.) from Kilkenny, containing 657 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Kilkenny, and contains 3165 statute acres. The principal seats are Clifden, the property of Viscount Clifden; Kilmagan, the residence of James Butler, Esq.; and Clara Castle, of A. Bryan, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of St. John's; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. The parochial church is in ruins: there is a glebe of 15 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Gowran, and has a neat chapel. There are two private schools, in which are 100 boys and 40 girls.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Clara. RC Parish: Clara; Gowran
Clara - Earliest Records: b. 1779; m. 1778.
Gowran - Earliest Records: b. Jan 1809; m. Jan 1810.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Clara		Clara		1809-1828	0926194
Note: The north of the R. C. parish of Gowran became Clara.

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Clara		Ballynamona		53	Ossory    
Clara		Baunmore		101	Ossory    
Clara		Churchclara     	335	Ossory    
Clara		Clara Upper      	559	Ossory    
Clara		Clarabricken    	567	Ossory    
Clara		Clifden or Rathgarven	484	Ossory    
Clara		Clohoge           	44	Ossory    
Clara		Coneygar           	235	Ossory    
Clara		Eagleshill		67	Ossory    
Clara		Kilmagar		615	Ossory    
Clara		Kingsland    		88	Ossory    
Clara		Rathgarvan or Clifden	484	Ossory    
Clara		Scart			48	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 10 Apr 1999

Return to top of page